Sunday, October 11, 2009

The Premise

Philosophy: (n) the rational investigation of the truths and principles of being, knowledge, or conduct.

Hello there,

I'd like to thank you for visiting. This page shall house my thoughts on religion. Namely that belief in a higher power and actions based on that belief should be identical to the character and actions of a moral secular humanist. That's right; if you really believe in God and subscribe to good behavior your actions and demeanor should be identical to other good an moral people regardless of what they believe.

Why the mention of Philosophy? That's all that this discussion can be. We can not apply science to religious practice, unless we decide to worship scientific rationalism. However I believe that religious practice, when applied properly, should extort us to press for greater scientific understanding of the universe we live in. Recently a scientific adherent whom I have found to be a wondrous breath of fresh air into a stale debate between fundamentalist religious types and the scientific community disparaged philosophy as a waste of time. In this I must disagree. Philosophy leads to rationalism, critical thinking and a move against the sort of mental atrophy that blinds so many fundamentalists. Can philosophy be taken too far? Absolutely, however there is very little which is good that is not also bad in sufficient quantity. To that end, please join me in a line of reasoning that has occupied me the last several years. If it catches your attention as a religious person I ask that you remember this. I am not here to challenge your faith. Faith in a higher power can be a wondrous thing and it strikes me that we'd be hollower without one. Having said that I am here to challenge your dogma. I want to talk about what a God is, and if this is a universe created by such a being what can we infer about said being based on the world around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment